I ASK FOR INTERNATIONAL MONITORING FOR UPCOMING PROTEST ON 23 JUNE IN MANOKWARI AND YAPEN WAROPEN

Dear Friends,

I am writing this email to inform you that we will stage another protest on 23 June 2011 in Manokwari and Yapen Waropen. The protest will start at 10 am. The purpose in staging another protest is to demand that the Indonesian government immediately releases all West Papuan Political Prisoners so they can return to Papuan society and reunite with their family members after being separated from their loved ones while locked up in Indonesian prisons.


As a former West Papuan political prisoner, I know how difficult it was when I was in an Indonesian jail. Now that I am in Washington, or when I first escaped to Australia, I have truly appreciated my freedom, but I never forget about my colleagues while they don't have that freedom.

Whilst I am here in Washington DC to attend a human rights advocacy day campaign regarding torture on 26 June in front of the White House Washington, I would ask the international community to exert pressure on the Indonesian government, and also the US and Australia governments to advise Indonesia to release immediately all West Papua political prisoners.

Under international law, West Papuan political prisoners are not criminals and they should be release immediately. Living in prison for so long is another form of torture for us West Papuans, and many of us have faced this torture under Indonesia.

I appeal once more, asking for international monitoring for the upcoming protest on 23 June in Manokwari and Yapen Waropen. At the recent protest on 10 June 2011 no people were arrested, however if West Papuan activists are still living in prison, this means that West Papuan voices need to be heard by the international commmunity.

Peace,

Herman Wainggai
Cell : +1 202 714 9580